Friday, October 16, 2009

Mental Whine

Today is Friday. It's supposed to be MY day, but thus far it has not been. I got ready this morning in a fog, not really paying attention to the weather. When I took the kids to school, I discovered to my dismay that it was lightly raining and I forgot my new headband/ear muffs at home. Running in the rain didn't sound appealing. Instead I decided to go to Wal-Mart and get my shopping done.

After my super-quick trip to Wally's World, I got stuck on the phone talking about work for about an hour. I went into town to go to the library, do some work which was a result of the earlier phone call, and then FINALLY my run...4 miles. 4 not so easy miles.

Why was it hard? Cause I didn't have my head in the game. I didn't want to run. It was dreary out. As I made each turn, I devised ways to cut my route shorter.....I could skip the run along the cemetery, I could not run out to Toepfer Road....on and on and on. I was mentally whining the whole time. I couldn't seem to stop myself.

But all along almost in cadence with my mental whine, I kept thinking to myself that I planned to do 4 miles and I should do 4 miles. 4 miles. Easy cheesy. Getter done.

Needless to say, I got it done and hated it every step of the way. I just didn't feel like I could get my legs to move the way I wanted them to, but now I am home, showered and refreshed. And I've discovered something which makes me happier than I could ever say.......

BRAND NEW SOCKS!!! Nice, white, fully padded not worn out, socks. Ahhhhh, mental whine no more. I am happy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment